L2 provide our clients with advice on compliance with IRR17 by appointment as Radiation Protection Advisers (RPA) and are recognised by Health & Safety Executive (HSE) as a RPA body under IRR17.
The Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17) require all organisations who work with ionising radiation such as radioactive sources, radioactive substances or X-ray sets to consult with a suitable Radiation Protection.
Our clients work in a wide number of industries including nuclear, oil/gas, manufacturing, inspection and education, where our advice is provided to protect works, the public and the environment from the harmful effects of ionising radiation.
We provide advice to clients on the radiation aspects of projects including the development of engineering controls, facility shielding design, facility containment design, management controls (including the development of documentation), training, dose assessments and project dose constraints. Our work in radiation shielding design involves hand calculations and use of software modelling such as MicroShield®.
Talk to us about our Radiological Protection Services
Contact L2 to discuss your Radiological Protection requirements in detail.
Our experience in the oil and gas sector includes experience and knowledge to a range of oil and gas operators and the corresponding service companies. Our support includes all the common aspects of radiological protection in addition to the unique elements such as management and disposal of NORM, together with off-shore transport, management and storage of radioactive sources.
In addition to appointment as RPA by clients we are also appointment as Radioactive Waste Advisers (RWA) under EPR16/RSA93 to provide advice on radioactive substance activity environment permits.
The regulations that cover the carriage of radioactive materials and wastes specify that any organisation involved in the carriage, or related packing, loading, filling, or unloading of dangerous goods, such as radioactive sources and waste, has a legal obligation to appoint a Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser (DGSA).
L2 employ a number of Dangerous Goods Safety Advisers (DGSA) to provide advice to clients on the transport of radioactive materials and waste by road, rail, sea and air.
We provide our clients with a range of advice on radiation protection, compliance and best practice to IRR17 including:
- Support to Employers on Notification, Registration and Consent under IRR17
- Appointment by client as Radiation Protection Adviser
- Development of Radiation Risk Assessments, Local Rules/Safe Systems of Work and Contingency Plans
- Delivery of training including Radiation Protection Supervisor (RPS), RPS Refresher, RAM Transport, Radioactive Waste Management and NORM Management
- Advice on designation of controlled and supervised areas
- Development of control and accountancy arrangements for radioactive sources and waste
- Advice on the types and selection of personal dosimetry
- Advice on selection and use of radiation monitoring equipment
- Undertaking leak testing of sealed sources and provision of associated certification
- Dose Assessments and ALARP Justifications
- Regulatory engagement and liaison
- Critical examinations of facilities including engineering controls, design features, safety features and warning devices
- Advice on security arrangements relating to high-activity Sealed Radioactive Sources
- Undertaking site inspections and compliance audits
Your Specialists in Radiological Protection Support
Additional Key Offerings
L2 Business Consulting Key Service Offerings
Helping you to meet environmental permit requirements.
Supporting site operators ensure compliance to regulatory requirements.
Advice on radioactive waste management in the nuclear, oil/gas and industrial markets.
Advice on regulatory requirements apply, hold and operate a Nuclear Site License.
Health and Safety
Expert advice in the delivery of regulatory compliance across a range of industries.
L2 Resource Centre
Visit our comprehensive resource area.